Thursday, November 14, 2013

November 14 / the ID

A few of the usual birds, lots of sparrows at the feeder.  Also, a great view of a small bird of prey in the tall tree, where they seem to like to perch - great view for hunting I imagine!  I have mentioned seeing a small bird of prey a couple of times in the past few weeks, and have called it the American kestrel.  Whatever I have seen before, which may well have been a kestrel, I am quite sure that today's was not a kestrel.  Rather, I think it was a merlin.  It was dark brown, light under the chin, yellow legs, heavily streaked breast, and distinctly barred tail (underside), smooth and pointed wings, and a quick flyer. 

It could, maybe, have been a young peregrine falcon, but I doubt that, they are a few inches bigger than the merlin (though sizes do overlap), and rare, and the streaking pattern is different, based on pictures I've compared.  

I dismissed the merlin as a likely ID for what I saw previously because it is an 'occasional' in this region, the kestrel's range fits well.

Common birds: house sparrow, mourning dove, cardinal (pair)

Fall visitors: junco, merlin (??)

No comments:

Post a Comment