Sunday, March 23, 2014

March 20 / the young hawk

Today I saw a little hawk, which I think was a juvenile of either the Sharp-shinned or the Cooper's hawk.  Either is possible, and they can be difficult to tell apart, though I hear the Cooper's is more common in the area. 

It was warm brown, streaked face, slightly lighter on the eyebrow (but not significantly), vertical brown streaks on the white breast, subtle reddish on the cheeks and shoulders, yellow legs, long tail with brown and darker brown bars (I counted 4 dark bars, approx even width to lighter bars), and a thin creamy (light, but not white) tip of the tail, which looked quite square to me. I didn't see much flight, but wing beats seemed steady.

It perched both on a fence, a pile of paving bricks, and in mid-branches of an evergreen tree, spending more time in the tree.  It seemed quick, active, and small, but definitely bigger than a robin/mourning dove.

Common birds: cardinal (pair), grackle, starling, mourning dove, robin, downy woodpecker (pair), house sparrow

Overhead: gull

Spring visitors: junco
Heard: chickadee

No comments:

Post a Comment