Thursday, May 23, 2013

May 22 / the warbler

I've noticed that I am seeing fewer migrating songbirds than I was this time last spring.  In 2012 & 2011 there were lots of warblers around by now.  That said, I am seeing some, and this morning, I saw one I don't remember seeing in my yard before.  There's also one I can't quite figure out yet.

Common in my garden: cardinals, sparrows, grackles, robins.

Spring visitors: baltimore oriole, red-wing blackbird, brown headed cowbird.  A heavily streaked sparrow with a central/chest spot - probably song sparrow. 

New today: common yellowthroat (warbler)

Not quite sure: there's a little bird, creamy underneath and taupey/olive on top, no wing bars, black eye bar.  I think it's most likely a philadelphia vireo, could possibly be an orange crowned or tenessee warbler. 

In one of my posts to come, I'll also note some interesting birds I've seen so far this spring, before beginning to write them down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment