Monday, September 23, 2013

the flicker / September 23

Yesterday I was out all day and didn't really see much bird activity.  Today, the first day of autumn, a different story.  I was home, and around lunchtime saw quite a few birds, including a robin, which I haven't seen for a while.  I was starting to wonder if they'd already left.  There were several (3-4) hawks flying overhead, and a small bird of prey with a thin tail and sharp wings, which I think was an American kestrel.  It was flying overhead as well, and very fast. 

I saw a nashville warbler, and a warbler I'm not entirely sure about - it was either a magnolia, or a Canada warbler, and I think magnolia is more likely, but although I saw it twice, it was moving around too much for a good look.  There was also another little bird, which may have been the nashville again, or may have been something else.  I only saw the head (olive) and chest (yellow), no distinct eye markings. 

Common birds: house sparrow, blue jay, cardinal (male), chickadee, robin, downy woodpecker (female)

Fall visitors: nashville warbler, common flicker, magnolia warbler (?)

Overhead: gull, red-tailed hawk, american kestrel (?)

No comments:

Post a Comment