Wednesday, September 25, 2013

the sapsucker / September 25

Well the birds kept me busy today.  I've found that over the past few days, the late morning/lunchtime is the time I see the most activity in the garden.  It also seems the fall migration is underway, based on the variety of bird life. 

The flycatcher is still confusing.  I think it's the eastern phoebe, but it's hard to get a great look.  I did see whatever it is today.

I also had other surprises - one being the presence of one or more yellow bellied sapsuckers, actually in my neighbour's big trees, but visible from my garden.  The other was the little red-breasted nuthatch, which is not uncommon, but I was standing under 3 feet away from the suet feeder, when the nuthatch came to eat.  Although the nuthatch never sits still for long, it was there longer than I expected, I just stood still and watched.

There were a couple of hawks, they seemed small, but they may just have been high up.  It wasn't the kestrel, as that had sharp wings, so probably the red-tailed we often see here. 

Common birds:  house sparrow, cardinal (male), blue jay, grackle, starling, chickadee, robin, goldfinch (pair), downy woodpecker, mourning dove

Fall visitors: brown creeper, nashville warbler, yellow bellied sapsucker, flicker, black throated green warbler, ruby-crowned kinglet, golden-crowned kinglet, white throated sparrow, eastern phoebe (?)

Overhead: gull, Canada goose, hawk(?)

No comments:

Post a Comment