Tuesday, October 15, 2013

the harvest / October 14

It's getting cooler, particularly at night, and I don't think the tomatoes are liking it.  They don't withstand frost well, and although we haven't had any frost warnings I've heard about, the leaves are withering, and some of the fruit has blemishes.  Today I picked the largest of the remaining fruits, I've left the smaller ones, hoping to give them a little more time on the vine, but might have to give in because the forecast later in the week is cooler again.  They can be ripened off the vine, so I hope I manage to save most of them. 

Also, there were a number of hawks high above today, I counted 9.  

Common birds: house sparrow, blue jay, red-breasted nuthatch, chickadee, starling, downy woodpecker (male), house finch (female)

Fall visitors: golden-crowned kinglet, ruby crowned kinglet

Overhead: red-tailed hawk, gull

No comments:

Post a Comment