Wednesday, October 16, 2013

the tapper / October 16

In addition to a significant number of sparrows, I saw a couple of other birds today, one of which came as quite a surprise - not because of what it was, but where it was.  I heard a tapping noise, and thought it was probably coming from the other person in the house, but when I followed the sound, I discovered that it was the downy woodpecker, hanging off the eaves.  It was pecking at the wood near one of the holes the bees made earlier in the summer, so perhaps there are insects in there. 

I heard some bird calls, but am not able to say for sure what they were, it sounded like chickadees, maybe a red-wing blackbird as well. 

Common birds: house sparrow, downy woodpecker, cardinal (female), starling

Fall visitors: ruby-crowned kinglet

No comments:

Post a Comment