Saturday, June 1, 2013

the flycatcher debate

I have been looking at web images, and re-visiting my bird book, and am beginning to think it more likely that the bird I called the least flycatcher in my post 'Previously Spotted' was actually an eastern phoebe, or maybe eastern pewee, the latter being similar but with clear wing bars. The least flycatcher is too small, more warbler sized. 

I've seen what I have called the flycatcher twice this season to date, once just a couple of weeks ago while gardening, and once some weeks earlier.  On the earlier occasion, the juncos were still around and that is what I thought it was at first - dark on top, light under, but looking longer, it was a bit bigger, longer, and had a black beak.  The second sighting, my attention was split between things, so I am assuming that it was the same type again, but did not have as good a look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment